Tomato juice is both versatile, lip smacking and by extension a great source of nutrition to be exact. Its various health benefits are founded upon its quality of being rich in minerals, vitamins and phytonutrient content. It is associated to numerous health benefits such as ability to cure several ailments such as cancer, heart diseases among others. Processing of tomato is vital as it boosts the concentration of bio available lycopene hence a justification that tomato juice is far much better than the fresh tomatoes in terms of lycopene content which is the very critical element in as far as the health benefits of tomato juice is concerned. Below is a vast list of myriad benefits of the extract of the tiny red fruit.
- 1 Top 15 Health Benefits of Tomato Juice
- 1.1 1. Vital for healthy skin
- 1.2 2. Essential in pregnancy
- 1.3 3. Reduces depression
- 1.4 4. Minimizes chances of eye diseases
- 1.5 5. Ensures Strong immune system
- 1.6 6. Reduces risk of diabetes
- 1.7 7. Protection against heart attack
- 1.8 8. Maintains blood pressure
- 1.9 9. Minimizes the risk of cancer infection
- 1.10 10. Facilitates digestion
- 1.11 11. Responsible for good hair growth
- 1.12 12. Lessens cholesterol
- 1.13 13. Prevention of blood clotting
- 1.14 14. Anti-Inflammatory effect
- 1.15 15. Formation of strong bones and teeth
- 2 How to prepare healthy tomato juice
Top 15 Health Benefits of Tomato Juice
1. Vital for healthy skin
The skin is an important organ of human body which serves a considerable number of functions ranging from excretion, heat regulation, fat storage among other crucial functions. Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C and vitamin K thus its daily intake would keep the skin appealing and equally prevents skin cell destructions. It as well treats the scurvy, acne, dark spots, oil reduction and anti aging.
2. Essential in pregnancy
Infants are always at risk of neural tube this can be limited by ensuring sufficient consumption of tomatoes by expectant mothers. Their anti oxidant shield expectant women and the unborn from the damages and equally provides strength to the latter.
3. Reduces depression
The folic acid present in tomato facilitates the reduction of homocysteine hence ensuring a steady supply of blood and nutrients to the brain. the lycopane a substance found in tomato repairs brain cells leading to stress reduction. Therefore a tomato a day keeps the stress away.
4. Minimizes chances of eye diseases
The licopene provides protection to the tissues of the eye from violent damages .The presence of vitamins A, C, K and thiamine in tomatoes are fundamentally essential for the eye protection of the aye against infections.
5. Ensures Strong immune system
Due to its richness in vitamin c its daily consumption would ensure sufficient amount of vitamin in the body thus strengthening the ability of the body to stay immune to infections. This will equally relieve stress and tension.
6. Reduces risk of diabetes
Type two diabetes is prompted by excess weight, too much calories and poor feeding habit. It is expedient for the diabetes type 2 victims to rely on food whose nutritional content is rich in carbohydrates, proteins and fats that keeps sugar level balanced. On the other hand daily intake of tomato juice would ensure good maintenance of blood sugar.
7. Protection against heart attack
The heart failure which is normally associated by the coronary thrombosis which is the buildup of the fats along the walls of the blood vessels making it narrow thus impeding easy flow of the blood into, out and back to the heart can be prevented by 30%.This is attributed to lycopene a substance found in tomato.
8. Maintains blood pressure
Effective maintenance of blood pressure dictates for moderation in sodium consumption but because tomatoes have vasodilatation effects lower sodium consumption should be raised. The natural vitamins, minerals and various nutrients that constitutes a tomato for example potassium which makes the body immune to high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
9. Minimizes the risk of cancer infection
Scientific research states that consumption of a good quantity of tomatoes weekly is likely to reduce the risk of prostate cancer by 30% and prostate tumor by 50% .Lycopene and fibers are substances that exist in tomatoes and they are crucial in prevention of colorectal and pancreatic cancer by 30% .Research has proved it that the intake of lycopene, zeaxanthin and carotenoids which are all found in tomato minimizes the danger of breast cancer. Consumption of at least two glasses of tomato juice daily would not only keep you safe from contracting breast cancer but also improves the general health of the heart and the skin.
10. Facilitates digestion
Tomato juice motivates the regular movement of the bowel thus prevents experiencing hard time while undertaking the process of egestion thus prevents constipation and diarrhea. Tomato juice will also help to keep liver healthy thus ensuring a steady production of bile which aid in emulsification. The sufficient amount of water in the tomato is vital for digestion process and equally helps to get rid of toxins.
11. Responsible for good hair growth
Tomatoes provide vitamin C witch promotes a speedy growth of healthy hair. Vitamin K on the other hand ensures an improved quality texture of the hair, minimizes hair loss, and a perfect conditioner to the hair making it glow naturally.
12. Lessens cholesterol
Bad cholesterol is broken down by the help of fiber and niacin found in the
tomato. This further reduces other health challenges posed by high cholesterol.
13. Prevention of blood clotting
Blood clotting is fatal and should be prevented at all cost. Tomatoes are rich in phytonutrients which are essential in preventing anomalous clumping of platelet cell thus reducing the risk of blood clotting and chances of suffering heart attack.
14. Anti-Inflammatory effect
Deplorable health conditions have been found to be prompting chronic inflammation and other inflammation defects which are life threatening health issues. Daily intake of a glass of tomato juice protects one from an inflammation by about 33%.
15. Formation of strong bones and teeth
Weak bones is a defect known as rickets instigated by insufficient consumption of calcium, vitamin D and a substance called osteocalcin whose synthesis is vitamin k dependant and vitamin K is richly found in tomatoes.
The little humble fruit is really adorable; however, in as much as its juice is implicated to myriad therapeutic benefits the following are vital; Ensure you make consultation with the medic before consuming tomato juice for certain health problems, the tomatoes should be well washed with fresh water and left to dry before juicing. Finally take tomato juice with moderation, excess is harmful.
How to prepare healthy tomato juice
After learning about the health benefits of tomato juice, it is important for us to cover a simple recipe, and steps involved in preparation of the tomato juice.
In order to prepare your tomato juice, make sure you have the following;
Disclaimer: Some tomatoes are sweeter than others, depending on the varieties and degree of ripeness.
- Food mill, sieve or chinoise
- Large stainless steel pot (not aluminum). We prefer stainless steel because it’s non-reactive
- 5-20 pounds of very ripe tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery with leaves
- 3 pounds very ripe garden tomatoes, cored, roughly chopped
- 2 table spoons of sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- Black pepper (a pinch will do)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- A few shakes of Tabasco sauce, about 4-6 drops
How to prepare
- After washing the tomatoes, and preparing all the other ingredients, put into a large stainless steel pot. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until mixture is completely soupy, this usually takes about half an hour.
- Squeeze your mixture through your food mill, chinoise or sieve.
- Cool your juice, then store in a chilled place.
When refrigerated, the juice can last a week
Latest posts by Editor (see all)
- What To Look For In A Juicer - May 14, 2019
- 15 Health Benefits of Tomato Juice: Vital for Healthy Skin - May 5, 2019
- Ways to Drink Apple Cidar Vinegar - April 29, 2019